Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Night Listener

Dir: Patrick Stettner (The Business of Strangers, Flux)
Cast: Robin Williams, Toni Collette, Sandar Oh, Rory Culkin
USA, 2006

Seen: Aug 9, 2006 at Paramount

Reason to see: I am on my second attempting my #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 5/52.

I think what I enjoyed most about this film was Robin Williams voice. I know that is probably an odd thing to say, but it is true. I find it strange that I don't believe I had a strong reaction one way or the other with this film but I have found myself thinking about it. Compelling story, good acting and 'inspired by true events'. Its kinda quiet, kinda creepy, kinda interesting.


Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I am not certain I would watch it again
I'd recommend it as a drama

Peeve: 19 minutes of advertising endured to see this 1hr21 min film:

10 commercials:
clothing company
cell phones
'manly' drink
sports company
stop smoking ad
car company
male body spray (never thought I would be typing that...)
milk
cell phone (same company as previously stated)
clothing company (same company as previously stated)

5 previews:
The Namesake
Employee of the Month
The Presitge
The Illusionist
Hollywoodland

4 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

I saw the real-life background behind the story, not sure how much is fiction in the movie. An absolutely bizarre story though.

That's just crazy about the ads Shannon, absolutely sickening. We show up late to movies now because I can't handle the ads any more.

Notice how many magician movies are coming out? What's that about? Not that I'm complaining!

Shannon said...

The ads totally and I can understand the appeal of showing up late but I find it often is really disruptive and more than once I've had people sit right in front of me which kinda gets me mad cuz I really suss out my spot. Its a tough call.

Yes 2 magician ones - previews yet again give away way to much for my liking

Sacred Suzie said...

If the theatre isn't too full Shannon you should put your coat on the seat in front of you.

My pet peeve? People kicking my seat and hurting my back. It's usually kids (I always get kids behind me) but even lately it's been adults. We are going to sit in the back row of the front section next time, I can't take it anymore.

Shannon said...

In the dark they won't notice - or don't care. Heck, I've had people but there BAGS on top my coat/bag in the seat beside me.

Heh, I can't remember the last time I went to a film with kids there! Probably because I always go after work. I'm sorry they disrupt you though! Boo to that