Thursday, July 06, 2006

Superman Returns

Dir: Bryan Singer (X-Men, X2, Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects)
Cast: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey, James Marsden
USA / Australia, 2006

Seen: June 29, 2006 at Paramount

Reason to see: Initially I wanted to go the opening day just because I thought it would be fun, but I ended up going after work instead - I'm a sucker for things that are perfect timing. I am also attempting my #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 4/52.

I would compare this to a film like The Addams Family, a fair amount of the time you are going "That casting is perfect!" or "I love when they do this!" as it brings up a lot of things you recognized and remember and most likely feel nostalgic about. As a movie on its own I would say that I had hoped for more of an arch or plot (Did I just say that? Plot? What's come over me....). The casting was great, the acting was good and it was fun. I had hoped for more considering it was directed by Bryan Singer as I loved X-Men and it is a similiar genre but there was something that just wasn't perfect for me. I guess I'm more of a Marvel than a DC girl.

Shannon's Overall View:
I thought it was fun
I'll watch it again - on TV
I'd reccomend it to Superman fans, and as fun fare

Spoiler Zone (specific content mentioned ahead)
Did Clark ever do any work?? If I was his boss he would so be fired. I also question the costuming, if I remember correctly Lois is more of a pants kinda woman. Also seeing someone who is a smoker as a 'good' character as oppose to 'gritty/dark/cool-but-fringe' really felt kind of shocking.. oh how the times have changed.

3 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

It's been getting very lukewarm reviews Shannon, one of the reasons I'm not racing to see it but will definitely be seeing it in the theatre. The guy playing Superman had ZERO professional acting background which I find really risky but potentially interesting. Thanks for the review. I'm glad I know, now I will go in with pretty low expectations and hopefully like some aspects of it.

Shannon said...

Hey Suzie!

I actually thought the guy who played Clark was pretty good, but there is a huge volume of work that he can draw on for inspiration. Especially as oit isn't a 'new' take on the character. I didn't have a problem with him at all, he was quite charming

Sacred Suzie said...

Oh that's good news Shannon! I look forward to seeing him as Superman. He really looks the part in a very classic sense. I hope to see it this weekend. Thanks!