Friday, July 21, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday July 21, 2006!!!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!!

Well its definitely a little bit of everything this week. Is it just me or has there been a lot of animated film this year? This weeks animated release is Monster House. We also have comedies with My Super Ex-Girlfriend and Clerks II. Clerks II confuses me. The first Clerks was released over 10 years ago now, I still remember seeing it at the film festival at the Uptown. But that isn't what confuses me. Apparently its not only a sequel to Clerks but Mallrats, Chasing Amy, et al.. but how come is II then? Maybe its just the continuation of the 2 characters, I'm just not sure. We also have a summer spooky release with Lady in the Water, I find people tend to feel very strongly one way or the other with M. Night Shyamalan's work. Some are convinced he's a one trick pony but I tend to disagree... I think there is a style to thrillers and we just don't see tons of them as a whole so it feels like that. Mind you I haven't seen Lady in the Water as of yet... so that maybe a little premature to say. Although I've liked his last 4 films.

Delight of the Week: Screenings where the filmmaker is present!

Peeve of the Week: Screenings with intro's (um.. hello.. we are already here to see the movie you don't need to "sell it" to us) and weird questions at the Q&A.

Inspiration of the Week: An list of films that were influential to you. Not your favorites, your 'best' list, desert island list, repeat watching list but films that influenced you. I have no stopped thinking about this idea (which I found here), and am in process of making my own list. What would be on yours?

Have a great weekend!!

Shannon

Friday July 21, 2006 Releases

Clerks II
Writer/Dir: Kevin Smith (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma)
Cast: Brian O'Holloran, Rosario Dawson, Jeff Anderson, Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith
USA

Lady in the Water
Dir: M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs, The Village)
Cast: Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeffrey Wright, Bob Balaban
USA

Monster House
Dir: Gil Kenan - directorial debut
Voices: Steve Buscemi, Jason Lee, Ryan Newman, Mitchel Musso, Catherine O'Hara
USA

My Super Ex-Girlfriend
Dir: Ivan Reitman (Meatballs, Stripes, Twins, Evolution)
Cast: Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, Anna Faris
USA

Strangers With Candy
Dir: Paul Dinello (Whells of Fury, Shock Asylum)
Cast: Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert, Paul Dinello
USA
Limited Release

**please note this list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on July 21, 2006**

No comments: