Saturday, July 15, 2006

#66 - Find, buy and try stevia (sugar substitute)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I have heard about Stevia for many years, an alternative to sugar (its some kind of plant... .). I initially 'found' it back in.. March or so when it was available at a (now) local restaurent as a sweetner, but I didn't 'try' it or 'buy' it until this week (thanks Jamie for letting me buy some off you!!). I am sad to say though that I didn't really like it. I tried it in tea and in coffee. The first time I got a huge headache after, but not the second. It also made my normally yummy hot beverages feel kinda 'light' or 'thin'. Not that normally they are full-bodied beverages or anything. Anyhow, I might try it again in a bit but in general I don't think its going to make it into my regular rotation.

Return to my 101 list.

Return to Planet Shannon

5 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

I know what you mean Shannon, Stevia isn't for everything. I prefer the liquid form and put it in club soda-type drinks and then add lemon but you do that without a sweetner already! The liquid is good in herbal teas but in regular tea and coffee...not so much.

Sacred Suzie said...

I forgot to mention, I TOTALLY LOVE that boo mug! OMG, where on earth did you get that?

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for the insight Suzie! I forgot there was more than 1 form to it, I did try the powder. The mug I got from Jamie one Halloween - doesn't it rock??

Sacred Suzie said...

You're welcome Shannon and yes, that mug so totally rocks!

SteviaInfo.com said...

Hey, I'm glad to see your interest in Stevia. I created a non-commercial web site earlier this year to provide more info about stevia, including recipes, news articles, research stuides and more. Come and take a look when you have a few minutes: SteviaInfo.com.