Friday, June 09, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday June 9, 2006!!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!!

Its Festival madness this week with the new releases and festivals being the same number at 4 of each! Speaking of festivals it come to a great shock and sadness to me when I discovered that 4 of the 5 Festival Cinemas are closing. Many a time I have spent at those theatres, from seeing films I knew nothing about such as Delicatesent or a film by Jean-Luc Godard (which I sadly don’t remember what film it was), to falling out of the seat laughing at (not funny) parts of Independence Day, or to double bills like Highlander and Aliens. Then of course there were times I spend freezing the Paradise, or rocking in the chairs of the Revue during Sunday matinee’s and seeing kids watch the screen in wonder. I also found they were a great resource to snag those Oscar nom’s before the big show (Monsters Inc, Ali) They will be open until the end of June and then all but The Fox will sadly close there doors. For their final months schedule, visit here.

Festival Watch:

The Toronto Italian Film Festival continues until June 11, 2006, Toronto

Alucine, Toronto Latin@ Media Festival continues until June 10, 2006, Toronto

North by Northwest Film Festival June 8-11, 2006, Toronto

Worldwide Short Film Festival runs June 13 – 18, 2006, Toronto

Shannon

Tuesday June 6, 2006 Releases

The Omen
Dir: John Moore (Flight of the Phoenix, Yeager, Behind Enemy Lines)
Cast: Julia Stiles, Live Schreiber, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick, Predrag Bjelac
USA

Friday June 9, 2006 Releases

12 and Holding
Dir: Michael Cuesta (L.I.E)
Cast: Zeo Weizenbaum, Annabella Sciorra, Jesse Camacho, Conor Donovan
USA
Limited

Cars
Dir: John Lasseter (Toy Story, A Bug’s Life)
Voices: Owen Wilson, Bonnie Hunt, Paul Newman, Tony Shalboub
USA

A Prairie Home Companion
Dir: Robert Altman (The Company, Gosford Park, Pret-a-Porter)
Cast: Lily Tomlin, Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline, Woody Harrelson, John C. Reilly
USA

**please note this list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on June 9, 2006**

4 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

I love that The Omen was released on 06/06/06! Did you see the Roeper and Ebert review of it? I think this is one I'm going to see, probably rent it later on but it looks good.

Shannon said...

No, they changed the channel or timeslot of thier show so I haven't seen the review. I tend to agree with Roeper over Ebert by far though.

Sacred Suzie said...

That's too bad they changed the time slot. It's new this week, I think it's on here on Sundays at 11:30.

I was shocked Roeper liked Cars which I think look like the dullest movie ever, but it got two thumbs up.

I agree, I am usually on Roeper's side except when he says to go to a movie because some woman in it is hot. That bugs me. Other than that, I agree with him most of the time.

Shannon said...

Wow, I'm shocked, I've never heard Roeper say that, usually that is an Ebert-ism hence the less likely to agree with him.