Thursday, March 16, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday March 17, 2006!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!

Big news on the Canadian film front is the Genies, held this past Monday night. I was all geared up to watch the awards and then was sorely disapointed that the "Live at the Genies!" was really "Live at the after party!" show that was glitzy which felt a little strange to me. The awards had already been given out, they recapped 9 of the categories, and the 'hosts' introduced the nominee's instead of showing the actual presenters. There were portions of the speeches shown but they did show pre-recorded speeches, the funniest of which was Atom Egoyan's speech in which he revealed that its the first time he has made a pre-recorded speech without knowing if he won. It was quite charming. The big winner this year was C.R.A.Z.Y. winning a total of 11 categories including Best Film, Best Direction and the Golden Reel for highest grossing film. Water came in with 3 wins, and Atom Egoyan did snag the award for Adapted Screenplay for Where the Truth Lies. Which reminds me, I must add Familia to my must see list, great acting and compelling story. For a complete list of winners, visit here.

Its quite fitting that this week we have 2 Canadian releases Lucid and The Last Trapper and I still have not been able to quite figure out if The Last Trapper is a documentary or not. I checked out the films website and its cool... and in French. It looks gorgeous though, and how can you pass up seeing something filmed in Yukon? I think the film with the biggest buzz this week is actually V for Vendetta, which until today I thought was directed by the Wachowski brothers of The Matrix fame. This is not the case, the wrote it, but not directed it. Huge difference. The previews and posters I've seen for it always leave me with a completely different impression so I think I just have to see it to see what the fuss is about!

I would like to mention a few things about the films released last week!! I was so focused on the Oscar's I completely forgot to mention anything about them. We had 2 films based on true stories Omagh and The Worlds Fastest Indian both of which I found the previews quite compelling. The heart and strength in both stories really got to me. Although Ebert really like The Worlds Fastest Indian, and he & I don't tend to see... eye to eye. I also am looking forward to seeing Beowulf and Grendel even though I don't know the story at all.

Have a great weekend!!!

Shannon

New Releases for Friday March 17, 2006

Ask The Dust
Dir: Robert Towne (Without Limits, Tequila Sunrise)
Cast: Salma Hayek, Colin Farrell, Eileen Atkins, Donald Sutherland
Limited Release
USA

Joyeux Noel
Dir: Christian Carion (Une Hirondelle a fait le Printemps, Monsieur le Depute)
Cast: Dany Boon, Diane Kruger, Benno Furmann, Guillaume Canet
Limited Release
*Oscar nomination for best foriegn film

The Last Trapper / Le Dernier Trappeur
Dir: Nicolas Vanier (L'enfant de Neiges)
Featuring: Norman Winther, Alex Van Bibber, May Loo
Limited Release
Canada/France/Switzerland/Germany/Italy
In English & French

Lucid
Dir: Sean Garrity (Inertia, Buenos Aires Souvenier)
Cast: Jonas Chernick, Callum Keith Rennie, Lindy Booth
Limited Release
Canada

She's the Man
Dir: Andy Fickman - directorial film debut
Cast: Amanda Bynes, Channing Tatum, Laura Ramsey
USA

V for Vendetta
Dir: James McTeigue - directorial debut
Cast: Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, Stephen Fry
USA/Germany

No comments: