Sunday, March 26, 2006

101 in 1001 Weekly Update #3!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Complete: #73 Go to the eye doctor even though it isn't free anymore, although it turns out I didn't have to pay, how much does that rock!!! I've done 1 of 10 of #83 try 10 new restaurants, and made progress on #14 write about all the movies I see over this 101 days: Night Watch, Ong-Bak, and In the Heat of the Night - which is 1 out of the 101 of my 'to see list'.

The task that is my current focus now that my class is done, is #33 - Find a new apartment. I've seen 2 so far. One was gorgeous, nice layout, good price but way too far from the subway for me. It was a brisk 15 minute walk. That just isn't going to work for me. I walked home after which was an hour of walking/standing/etc and my knee hurt so much I had to take aspirin. Now, it was near 2 buses but it really felt totally isolated & way too quiet, even though it was close to major streets. Then I went to see an apartment on this street:

Image hosting by Photobucket

It was a lot further west than I would normally consider, but I totally fell in love with it before I even got there. This is where I should be living, somewhere where people actually live. It wasn't noisy perse, but there were people there. Gardens are in various states of care and my sister said she saw things sprouting, so that is a good sign! Its 1 1/2 blocks from 3 major streets with places to eat, go for coffee, bars & lounges, laundromats, there are even 2 movie theaters (2nd run) nearby. Its clearly mostly renters (passed 2 or 3 moving trucks on the way there you can see one in the distance of the pic), and the houses all look similiar but are all different. Every apartment I've seen, and any I've lived in always had something a little different. Odd different, like once the fridge was outside my actual apartment. This one had a tub, but no shower and you walk through someone else's apartment to get to yours. Well, walk by not through, but anyhow, someone saw it before me and really wants it so I'm next in line after that. I'll keep looking - but it was really good even just to reinforce that this is the 'hood I'm really wanting to be in.

And now for our regular updates:

#22 - Save a part of every paycheque - done!

#92 - Learn/Discover something new every
Monday March 20/06 - Greenland is part of Denmark, and not a country to itself
Tuesday March 21/06 - my right eye is higher than my left
Wednesday March 22/06 - there are LOTS of rectagular frames for glasses out there right now!
Thursday March 23/06 - a 15 min walk from the subway is too far for wherever I will be living next
Friday March 24/06 - I do not own any nice but non-work-ish shirts (this has already been resolved, woot)
Saturday March 25/06 - there are 24 doors to enter/exit on the subway
Sunday March 26/06 - my measurements don't actually all match up to a size, they span across 3 different sizes, no wonder shopping can be such a challenge!

#94 - Read every day
Monday March 20/06 -The Chronlicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Tuesday March 21/06 - The Chronlicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Wednesday March 22/06 - The Chronlicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Thursday March 23/06 - Eye, Now
Friday March 24/06 - The Chronlicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Saturday March 25/06 - The Chronlicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Sunday March 26/06 - Vogue, March 06

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

I'm totally fascinated by your apartment hunting experience Shannon. I also love the picture, makes me miss Toronto. Such an interesting place to be. That's too bad this apartment may not work out but you'll find the right one. Good thing that you're not forced to pick just anything, you can really search for something that's a home for you.

That sucks about the knees! I realized that where I live that the walk from the bus stop to my neighbourhood is through a ravine-like area, like I'm going to walk there at night?! I don't think so. During the day it's no big deal but at night, forget about it. This freaked me out a bit but to be honest, I am never out alone at night. But it's nice to have the option!

Good luck with your search!