Thursday, February 23, 2006

Film Fan Fridays for Friday February 24, 2006

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!

Week after week I am astonished by the volume of films being released, this week we have 9 films being released. This week three of our films are releasing with critical acclaim Dear Wendy, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and Little Fish, one animated Doogal, one family Spymate, and more!

How is one to choose?

For me I often find the determining factors aren't necessarily based on what I want to see the most, but based on time - in two ways. First, I love when anything starts around 5 or 5:30. I can go after work, often its still considered a matinee and still feel like I have the night left after. This often results in a dinner consisting of tea & popcorn, and has added films like The Hunted, Phone Booth and The Good Thief to my seen list so it isn't always the best way too choose. The second time factor for me is my guessimate on how long something will last in its theatrical release. If its something that won't last long, I try and get out there and see it before it's gone.

So my picks for this week are: Night Watch, I don't know if I can resist a film that is described as "Action/Fantasy/Sci Fi/Thriller/Horror/Mystery" and has character names such as: owl, young vampire neighbour and mage-transformer. It was hugely successful when released in Russia, in very limited release but it looks pretty scary. My second pick would have to be Metal: A Headbanger's Journey its Canadian, its about metal music, and well need I say more?

Have a great weekend!!!

Shannon

New Releases for Friday February 24, 2006

Dear Wendy
Dir: Thomas Vinterberg (Its All About Love, Festen / The Celebration)
Cast: Jamie Bell, Bill Pullman, Chris Owen, Alison Pill, Danso Gordon
Denmark/France/Germany/UK
Limited Release

Doogal
Writer/Director: Butch Hartman
Voices: Jimmy Fallon, Judi Dench, Whoopi Goldberg, William H. Macy
France/UK/USA

Little Fish
Dir: Rowan Wood (The Boys <1998>, Farscape)
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Sam Neill, Noni Hazlehurst
Australia
Limited Release

Madea's Family Reunion
Writer/Dir: Tyler Perry - directorial film debut
Cast: Tyler Perry, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield
USA

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
Dir: Sam Dunn, Scot McFayden, Jessica Joy Wise - directorial debuts
Featuring: Tony Iommi, Dee Snider, Slayer, Alice Cooper, Keke Palmer
Documentary
Canada

Night Watch
Dir: Timur Bekmambetov (Gladiatrix / The Arena, Night Watch II)
Cast: Konstantin Khabensky, Vladimir Menshov, Valeri Zolotukhin
Russia
Russian

Running Scared
Dir: Wayne Kramer (The Cooler, Crossing Over, Blazeland)
Cast: Paul Walker, Cameron Bright, Vera Farmiga, Chazz Palminteri
Germany/USA
Limited Release

Spymate
Dir: Robert Vince (MVP: Most Valuable Primate, MVP 2)
Cast: Chris Potter, Richard Kind, Emma Roberts, Michael Bailey Smith
Canada

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Dir: Tommy Lee Jones - film directorial debut
Cast: Tommy Lee Jones, Barry Pepper, January Jones, Melissa Leo
USA/France
English/Spanish

**please note list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on February 24, 2006**

1 comment:

Jamie said...

How do you choose? What a great question. I've also chosen based on the time of day the movie is showing. I love being able to go right after work and then head home or out for dinner.

I'll also go to movies where someone whose work I've enjoyed is involved, usually the director or perhaps an actor. And I will go to most films of particular genres. Sci fi, fantasy or epic films generally will see me in their audience.